Sunday, February 22, 2009

Exercise and the Brain

During a recent Skype phone call with fellow blogger Diane Jacobs, the discussion of physical activity and motor control came up. Diane is noteworthy for having an opinion or two on the role of neuroscience in the world of physical therapy, but what I've come to realize is she's equally eager to help colleagues learn and will go out of her way to do so. Thanks again Diane.

After the phone call, Diane sent me a link to one of Ginger Campbell's Brain Science Podcasts. The podcast is an interview with Harvard physician John Ratey and his new book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. It is a fascinating interview and it sounds as if the book could be an equally fascinating read. I was particularly fired up to hear Dr. Ratey's take on exercise and neuroplasticity. He actually refers to exercise as "the undisputed champ of neuroplasticity for the brain". What a powerful statement that could have incredible and far-reaching implications for the role of therapeutic exercise in our clinical outcomes.

Please feel free to check this podcast out and let me know what you think.

If you are interested in learning more about Ginger Campbell or listening to more of her podcasts (she's got a great southern accent by the way) feel free to check out her website. I will also add it to the list of "Great Medical Blogs" on my site.

1 comment:

  1. This is an area I curious about learning more about. Thanks for pointing me towards the podcasts.

    ReplyDelete