Thursday, February 28, 2008

Attention class....

Man it has been a busy couple of weeks at the clinic. Sometimes it's hard to peel away from the daily grind at the clinic to sit down and have a friendly online debate, post on my blog, or just sit and read a good novel.

I've been having a good time interacting with the interesting folks on the SomaSimple website while staying a little more grounded with my roots on planet earth via the folks on RehabEdge. If you are a PT and interested in some spirited debate and good conversation, feel free to join us and let us hear from you.

Later this month I will be bringing in two physical therapy students for a six-week orthopedic rotation. My typical approach to students is the learn-on-the-fly model with very little structured sessions. After reading a post on a PT student's website, I have decided to take a much more proactive approach to the clinical experience. While I'm only in the early stages of planning, I hope to include:
  • Specific learning objectives
  • Weekly lectures
  • Regular literature reviews
  • Case presentations

These are things that will undoubtedly increase the demand on the students' attention and focus. I think the end result will be a better learning experience for them and offer me a chance to continue the process of reevaluating my approach to managing my patients....everybody wins.

If you have a novel approach to your students in the clinic, I want to hear from you as well. In my next blog, I will review some exciting literature I've been reading on the issue of OA following menisectomy and its possible relationship with distance running. See you next time!

4 comments:

  1. I saw your blog link on MyPTSpace, and I'm right there with you on trying to put together a meaningful clinical ed. experience (after having a whopping dud clinical when in PT school.) I guess I did learn one thing--be a good CI!
    I staff the ED in my clinical practice, so students here need to think fast & on their feet. (Which really should be encouraged in any clinical setting, IMO.) Three big lessons I like to encorporate are:
    1.) establishing a ddx list, most -> least likely
    2.) Having solid basic functional exams for common conditions or body regions. I am even known to whip out a timer. It makes some nervous, but this too is good practice.
    3.) Student's keep a 'look-it-up-tonight notebook in their pocket. Things they don't recall or stumble on become part of that nights homework. I look up things at night, I think they should too!
    One student gave me heat about this, but it's part of being in a doctoring profession ;)
    Being around physicians all day long, I've witnessed a few of teaching tricks I thought looked useful.
    I hope others contribute--always looking for a new & better trick!
    ~Carleen Jogodka, PT, DPT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing, I call your "look it tonight notebook" my "pocket brain" or "poor man's PDA." It's a little $.50 spiral notebook and I've been using it since I was an undergrad. It fits perfectly in the back pocket and comes in handy on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I saw your blog and read it.
    I am a membrance in Somasimple and Rehabedge. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I saw and read your blog and post out here and it is interesting. And i also am a membrance of Somasimple and rehabedge forum. Nice to meet you.

    Regards and Good speeds, Lin

    ReplyDelete